How do I change my legal name?



If you would like to officially change your legal name to a new name you will have to do what is called a Deed Poll.

Deed Poll is simply a legal document that proves a change of name and contains the following three declarations:

  • I am abandoning my previous name.
  • I will use my new name at all times.
  • I require all persons to address me by my new name only.

You can change any part, add or remove names and hyphens, or change spelling. Your new name must contain both a forename and a surname and be pronounceable. The Deed Poll is prepared by an Attorney at Law. Once prepared, you will review the document and once satisfied with it, you will sign it. Two witnesses, who aren’t related to you, must also sign your deed poll and give their name, occupations and addresses. Then the Deed Poll will have to be registered at the Ministry of Legal Affairs. The processing time is usually approximately 2-3 months.

Please note that you do not need a Deed poll to take your spouse’s surname when you are  married, you will simply present the marriage certificate when applying for new identification and documents. 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s