I am not the Father. How can I get my name removed from a child’s birth certificate?


Matters like these are difficult, the purpose of this post is to provide some insight in dealing with a situation like this so that persons involved can move forward with their lives. If you believe that you are not the father of a child these are the steps that you can take:

Step One: Get a DNA test done
If you have any doubts on whether you are the father of a child you can have a DNA test done. Here are two places that you can have it done in Trinidad and Tobago:

Genix Diagnostics Limited
#14 Hilltop Drive, Champs Fleurs,
Phone Number: 868-645-1713 OR 868-777-4363(GENE)


Trinidad and Tobago Forensic Science Centre
Barbados Road, Federation Park
St Clair, Port of Spain
Phone Number 868-622-1011 OR  622-2167
The cost of the test is about $1800 to $2000TT. The test will require DNA samples to be taken from both the father and child. It usually involves taking a swab sample of the inside of the mouth. Because the test results are to be used in a court matter the samples are required to be taken on-site at their facility- therefore both the father and child must be brought to the DNA test facility.

Step Two: Begin the process to have your name removed from the Birth Certificate. 
If the results of the DNA tests prove you are NOT the father of the child, and your name is on the child’s birth certificate as the Father of the child, you will need to get a court order that directs the Registrar General of Trinidad and Tobago to remove your name from the child’s birth certificate. You will need to retain an attorney to do this. The attorney will file an application to the court to have your name removed, once the court grants it, your name will be removed from the child’s birth certificate. It is important that you do this because your name being on the child’s birth certificate as the Father of the child has legal implications. If your name was never on the child’s birth certificate you have nothing to worry about and there is no need to do Step Two. 

Disclaimer: This post is not legal advice. If you have a legal problem, you should consult an Attorney-at-Law.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s